One church, many functions
From the outside, it can't be recognized as a church: St. Damian and Hugo lies in the palace's southern wing, next to the main courtyard. Its tower, designed by Balthasar Neumann in 1740, was moved away from the narrow palace area for reasons of symmetry. Only a long passage connects it to the church. It once had many functions: Pro-cathedral of the bishopric, palace church, and parish church. Young priests-to-be were educated in the neighboring priests' seminary.